1. Wear loose-fitting clothing after your tanning appointment. This ensures nothing rubs off while your tan is going through the setting/drying process. Since you are at home I would suggest just wearing an extra large t-shirt.
2. Some tanning solutions can stain light-colored clothing and bed sheets, but most of the time it will wash out. Just in case, make sure your clothing/under garments are dark and the same with your bed sheets if you plan on sleeping in your tan (regular tans require 8 to 12 hours before you can shower).
3. After your airbrush spray tan appointment, DO NOT allow your skin to get wet within 8 to 12 hours, unless you are tanning with a rapid tan( 1 to 4 hours). Water will stop the tanning process. This includes doing laundry and washing the dishes! Take advantage of this and enjoy the night off :)
4. During your first rinse shower (post-tan), avoid using ANY soaps or shampoos and shower with cool or luke warm (not hot) water. You may notice the water coloring, but don't panic. Tanning solutions have a cosmetic wash-off bronzer that is used as a color guide for your spray tan artist. Rub with your hands and get all the bronzer off until water runs clear. Always pat dry and avoid rubbing while towel drying. During the week of your tan do not use any harsh soaps in the shower (especially Dove, Dial, and Irish springs) it will diminish your tan.
5. To prolong your tan and keep the fading process smooth: moisturize, moisturize, and moisturize. Avoid products that contain mineral oils, alcohol, fragrances, and dyes. These ingredients will diminish your tan. This includes body washes, face washes, and sunscreen. Take a look at my recommendations below.